Unarguably chocolate is certainly the most popular confectionary flavor in the world. That’s why learning about chocolate can be just as fun as consuming it…
1. Monkeys were the first to find the cacao plant edible and delectable, not man. The monkeys would eat the pulp and spit out the beans. As early as 1500- 400BC, the Olmec tribe followed the monkeys’ example and only ate the delicious pulp.
2. Talk about sweet ceremonies! The Maya drank liquid chocolate during weddings, engagements, baptisms, and even funerals.
3. Aztecs called it “xocoatl” for bitter water
4. Solidifying chocolate? Thanks to Mexican nuns from the 1700’s for creating and exporting the first chocolate product as a fundraiser for their convent.
5. Africa generates 70% of cocoa beans in the world.